The following is the process for completing the inventory work for swapping 1:1 devices. (Note, that this information is embedded into the iPad write-up, so the guide below is more for Middle School devices. There's a video overview of the process as the end of the article for reference, as well.
When a device needs to be exchanged for a new unit, please enter both the Asset Tag Number and Replacement Tag # in the left column of the Help Desk ticket window.
1. Check in the old asset (More Actions→Check in)
- Set Site: CCSD 181
- Set Location: *District Tech Office
- Leave Department blank
- Add check-in notes: Why asset was checked in (ie "Replacing device due to cracked screen")
2. Mark the old asset as broken (More Actions→Broken)
- Add Breakage Notes: [Damage/Defect] + Description of issue
Example 1: [Defect] Computer "e" key does not work
Example 2: [Damage] Cracked screen
3. Check out the new asset (More Actions→Check Out)
(If necessary, check the device in from any previously assigned user)
- Search for/select the user (add user if not found)
- Site/Location should auto-populate, adjust as needed
- Add note describing purpose of check-out (e.g. "Replacing broken asset 010557", "New student, initial deployment")
4. Edit the new asset's name field, using the pattern below:
iPads: Peter Jones [Walker-Student]
Chromebooks: HMS-StuCB-PeterJones, CHMS-StuCB-PeterJones
MacBook Airs: JAMF Name: CHMS-peterjones23-99999, HMS-peterjones23-9999
Go ahead and send the unusable device to the Admin center in care of Mike (Chromebooks/MacBook Airs), or Rob (iPads)
After the Help Desk and inventory have been updated, you are all set! Thank you for helping us keep track of our system and assets. It helps us make sure which students have which devices and also helps us keep track of repairs, budgeting, and any trends with devices.