District 181 has implemented a new Internet safety feature called Securly. Securly filters Internet traffic on student devices to prevent access to inappropriate content. When accessing the Internet at home via the Safari web browser students will be prompted to sign into Securly with their District 181 gmail account before they are able to browse the Internet. Additionally, if an application requires Internet usage, students will first need to access a website in Safari and authenticate to Securly before that application will work. Internet traffic will be stopped on the device until the student authenticates to Securly. This is to ensure that the sites students visit are safe.
Securly Sign-In Procedure
- From the iPad home screen, launch the Safari browser
- Enter a website address (youtube.com is shown here as an example)
- Students will automatically be redirected to the Securly sign in page shown here
- Tap the Login with Google button to load the Google sign in screen
- Students will type in their District 181 email address and tap next
- Students will type in their email address password and tap next
- Students will be prompted to allow Securly.com to access their gmail account. This is so the Securly web filter can authenticate the student’s email address (note that this should only happen on their initial login)
- The student will then be able to the web page they tried to load in Step 1. This session will be active until the web session cookie expires (after several hours). At that time the student will need to re-authenticate to the web filter again.
If students try to navigate to blocked websites, they will be shown a Securly web page detailing that the web page was blocked. In this example we are trying to access facebook.com.
- For example, a student enters facebook.com into their web browser
- Students are shown a message that they are not permitted to access that particular web page