Out of the box Chromebooks are not configured to have Spanish accent marks enabled by default. There are a few steps one must follow to enable expanded keyboard support for this functionality.
- Tap near the clock
- Tap the Settings gear icon in the menu that appears
- Scroll down to the bottom of the Settings menu and click Advanced
- Scroll down to the Language and input section and select the arrow next to Languages and Input
- Tap the arrow next to Manage input methods
- Select the checkbox next to US International keyboard
- Select the back arrow next to Manage input methods
- Tap the new keyboard option called US International Keyboard (you should see a green Enabled notifier for that keyboard when you select it)
- As a test load up a Google Doc. You can now hold down the right Alt (not the alt on the left side of the keyboard, but the right side) and press a, e, i, o, u, or n to create Spanish characters.